There are no current calls for work. Please check back next year.
CALL FOR WRITTEN WORK
15th Anniversary Volume
The Women of Appalachia Project will celebrate its 15th Anniversary beginning March 2024. Submit your work for inclusion in the15th Anniversary Women Speak Anthology.
PUBLISHED BY SHEILA-NA-GIG EDITIONS
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: JUNE 29 & 30, 2023
• Women residing in or having strong ties to any of the 420 Appalachian counties are eligible to submit. Also women whose ancestors identified as Appalachian.
• Entrants must be at least 16 years or older.
• Media accepted include poetry OR short story, essay, memoir (max. 2500 words) OR song. ORIGINAL WORK ONLY.
• Musicians must email audio MP3 format files of each piece submitted to: email@example.com.
• Previously unpublished work is preferred or please note first publication.
• Work previously read/performed in this exhibition may not be
Writers may enter a maximum of three (3) poems OR (3) songs OR one (1) short story OR 1) essay or memoir, MAX 2500 WORDS.
Both fiction and non-fiction will be considered. Do not mix genres.
A WORD document only
Use Times font, 12 pt., single spaced:
At the top of the page-
1. type your name
2. your address
3. next, the title of your piece
4. next, flow the body of your work/pieces
Provide a 50-word, third person bio in the box provided. A cover letter is not required.
Writers/poets/musicians who are accepted will be notified by email by September 15, 2023.
EVENT DATES: (performances)
March 16, 2024 Clarksburg-Harrison Library, Clarksburg, WV
March 21, 2024: Poetry in the Boro, Murfreesboro, TN
April 6, 2024: Berea College, KY, sponsored by the Loyal Jones Appalachian Center
April 13, 2024: Fairmont State University, Fairmont WV
May 17, 2024: Dairy Barn Art Center, Athens OH
June (TBD) ETSU, Johnson City, TN
For those who find travel difficult, a virtual reading in February 2024, sponsored by WOAP and Sheila-Na-Gig Editions.
(NOTE: Additional reading venues will very likely be added to
Submission of your application and document(s) shall constitute your agreement to comply with all conditions set forth in this prospectus.
We believe that all women are capable, courageous, creative and inspired.